FLU SHOT CLINICS SET TO OPEN AT MORE THAN 400 SHOPPERS DRUG MART/PHARMAPRIX STORES
Nov 4, 2010
3.4 to 8.5 million Canadians typically hit by seasonal flu each year
/NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION IN THE UNITED STATES OR OVER UNITED STATES WIRE SERVICES/
TORONTO, Nov. 4 /CNW/ - To assist Canadians concerned about catching the seasonal flu this year, Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix will be hosting flu shot clinics in-store through November and into December. Influenza, commonly known as "the flu", is a respiratory illness that typically circulates throughout the fall and winter. According to statistics from Health Canada, anywhere from 3.4 to 8.5 million Canadians come down with the seasonal flu each year, in addition to illness due to the common cold. The seasonal flu shot now also protects against the H1N1 strain, offering further protection.
"The best line of defense against the seasonal flu is to get a flu shot," says Mark Dragich Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist, Richmond Hill, Ontario. "We recommend that people call 1-800-Shoppers to find the nearest in-store clinic location and contact their local Shoppers Drug Mart store to book their flu shot."
In partnership with public health nurses and Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacists, flu shot clinics will be held at more than 400 stores across the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick. In total, Canadians will have access to more than 640 clinic days where they can get a flu shot, as well as additional information and advice about preventing and managing cold and flu symptoms.
In addition to the Shoppers Drug Mart team of pharmacists who are always available to answer questions and provide advice, Canadians can also pick up a free copy of the 'Be Well Get Well' booklet for additional health tips and information on staying well and preventing illness.
As cold and flu season approaches, it is recommended that Canadians - especially the elderly, children and others most susceptible to illness - take precautions to keep healthy. Shoppers Drug Mart has the following advice to help Canadians get prepared for cold and flu season.
Best protection against the flu and colds
- Consider getting the seasonal flu shot
- Wash hands thoroughly and often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or an arm, rather than the hand
- Minimize time spent in crowded settings and avoid touching mouth and nose
- Get adequate sleep (seven to eight hours each night)
- Drink plenty of water (at least eight glasses each day), eat healthy foods and stay active - maintaining a healthy lifestyle goes a long way to staying healthy throughout the cold and flu season
Additional health tips
- Ask a local Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist for advice before purchasing any medication if you are taking prescription medication or if treating young children
- Safely dispose of expired medications by taking them to a local Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy.
- Re-stock the medicine cabinet to be ready for cold and flu season: alcohol-based hand sanitizer, vitamins D and C, a thermometer, fever and pain relievers, cough syrup and cold and flu medicine are helpful to have on hand.
About Shoppers Drug Mart
Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation is one of the most recognized and trusted names in Canadian retailing. The Company is the licensor of full-service retail drug stores operating under the name Shoppers Drug Mart (Pharmaprix in Québec). With more than 1,180 Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix stores operating in prime locations in each province and two territories, the Company is one of the most convenient retailers in Canada. The Company also licenses or owns more than 59 medical clinic pharmacies operating under the name Shoppers Simply Pharmacy (Pharmaprix Simplement Santé in Québec) and eight luxury beauty destinations operating as Murale. As well, the Company also owns and operates 63 Shoppers Home Health Care stores, making it the largest Canadian retailer of home health care products and services. In addition to its retail store network, the Company owns Shoppers Drug Mart Specialty Health Network Inc., a provider of specialty drug distribution, pharmacy and comprehensive patient support services, and MediSystem Technologies Inc., a provider of pharmaceutical products and services to long-term care facilities in Ontario and Alberta.
For further information:
or toset up an interview with a Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist, please contact:
Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix